For everything there is a season... ecclesiastes 3:1
Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning. psalm 119:54

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Polo!

We decided to stick around the area this weekend instead of traipsing off to some exotic location.  I know, it sounds lame, but we were kind of tired of traveling, we already had to take a road trip this week to the farm show, and Jonathan had a lot of work to finish over the weekend.  

Saturday morning began like every other: out to the field.  

 The grain trucks lining up.  
This is only a few of them, there are probably at least double that down the road.

 Just chilling under the combine.
(Not really, he was measuring some stuff and noting it on his phone.)

We moved hotels for a night because our beloved Miró Park Hotel was hosting a wedding.  The Riviera was quaint.  A vintage wrought iron chandelier hung over the quilt-covered bed.  The floors were dark wood and creaky, but in a homey kind of way.  Jonathan got some work done and I purchased our plane tickets for Brazil.  We head there next week.  You can start praying now.

Today, was Sunday.  A day of rest.  We actually slept in a little!  After a glorious time of worship over café con leche, we met up with José in the afternoon at the polo club again.  As we walked over the manicured grass toward the group of people and horses congregated alongside the playing field, we met Carmen, one of José daughters.  "Where is everyone?"  I asked.  "Over there.  By the horses," was the reply.  "Who's playing polo today?" was my second question.  "Papá."  And sure enough.  José was strapping on his boots and helmet while his um...stable boy, for lack of a better word...held the reins of an impressive looking caballo.  Another one of his daughters, Emma, an aspiring polo player herself, was warming up his second horse (remember, a player uses up to 6 horses per game).

 Emma and Mamita.

 Onto a fresh horse.

 Action shot.

 There's José on the left.

Apparently, polo was not invented by the British, although they popularized it and developed the official rules.  The game actually has its roots as far back as before Christ's life!  The Persians were the first to play the game and used it as a method of training calvary for battle.  It spread east actually into China, India, and even as far as Japan before the British adopted it and began playing in many of their colonies around the world.  Argentina took to it especially well even as early as the 1800s.  

 "I wanna be like Daddy!"

 Toni's well on his way to being an expert polo player!

Next, it was our turn.  Right about now, my girls are cracking up.  I know, I know, I always dragged my feet about riding even the tame little horses at CVE.  There's just something freaky about sitting way up high on the back of the living, breathing creature who could knock you off and trample you without even thinking about it.  I know, the point is, you're in control of the horse, and it's meek and trained to obey its rider.  I've never actually felt that way, though, and usually just avoid the creatures.  

 But, and opportunity like a polo lesson only comes around once in a lifetime, usually.

Let me tell you, added to the challenge of simply controlling your horse, polo is not as easy as it seems. José makes it look so fluid and effortless.  In reality, it's super hard!  It's sort of like golf, but from the back of a moving animal!  And the taco (the polo stick) is really heavy and hard to control!  I had to keep apologizing to my horse for almost smacking her the face.

 Looking good!  We're naturals!

As misleading as the picture appears, I did not actually control my own horse (I'm not as cool as Jonathan.).  Dear Emma patiently led me around and tried to steer me as close as she could to the white ball.  She was so encouraging and sweet as I freaked out every time the horse swished her tail at a fly!  

 I actually did hit the ball a few times.
Only a few feet.  Okay, more like just a few inches.
Well, actually, most times I completely missed.

 Jonathan got pretty good.
Let's just hope he doesn't decide to take up polo, 
I'm not sure 6 horses would fit in the alley behind our apartment.

Emma, my patient teacher.  
She's competing next month in the junior polo tournament.

Overall, I'd say it was a good experience.  And I'm totally convinced that polo really is the "game of kings", as the Persians called it.  It's that classy!  I'm thinking Jesse, the family horseman, should take it up, just to add to our status!  

Another adventure-filled weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I'm with you - horses kind of freak me out :). Grammy & Aunt Kathy just told me about your blog and I've had fun catching up with your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So glad you found it Rebeca! :) Enjoy! Can't wait to meet lil' Jordyn! She looks like a sweetie from the pics!

      Delete