For everything there is a season... ecclesiastes 3:1
Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning. psalm 119:54

Saturday, November 23, 2013

News! News! News!

Finally! The job search is at an end! While it was a wonderful season of waiting and seeking out not only the different options, but also what God wanted for us, I'm glad the decision has been made. I don't think I can adequately describe those few weeks where God mightily revealed His power to open doors! He is the One who

"opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens." Revelation 3:7 

At first, Jonathan only had offers in Portland and Central Illinois, and while they were wonderful jobs, with great people, in locations that we love for different reasons, and lots of things seemed to make sense about either of them, we began to see God point us in the direction of staying here in California. So began the test of faith as we waited and watched in awe as God opened up two miraculous opportunities in the LA area. First, Mattel, in the middle of a complete hiring freeze, contacted Jonathan about interviewing with them. And through some connections at USC, Jonathan found himself presenting his dissertation and interviewing at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. After much discussion, prayer, an extension on our decision time, more prayer and discussion...Jonathan accepted JPL's offer.

So much feels "right" about our staying here (although this does mean a move to the Pasadena area), and we're confident God still has plans for us to be used here in LA. We're especially thrilled to be a part of Altadena church for awhile longer. We were blessed during this whole process of decision making as the church faithfully prayed for us, encouraged us, listened to us, and gave us so much Godly advice. I think they were pretty thrilled with the final decision, too!

While it's a great load off our minds to have the job decision made, we're facing some big, big changes, kind of all at the same time, so keep those prayers coming. In the next few months we'll be transitioning from the Beach Cottage to somewhere nearer Jonathan's work (moving), from the academic scene to "real life" (starting the job), and from being just us to a family of three (parenthood).

Speaking of that last major transition...


abundantly blessed by another baby shower, we are now ready (as ready as we'll ever be!) for Silly Goose's imminent arrival into our lives!

Part of preparing for becoming a family of 3 included
becoming a family of 2 cars!
Yes, the car seat is now installed, and we're ready to roll!

Great story about our new-to-us Mazda 5, Jonathan went to look at it the very evening we were in the middle of making the final job decision. While we were pretty sure what we supposed to do, I was feeling rather doubtful and struggling with the weightiness and semi-permanance of the whole thing. As I went out for a walk, once again chatting with God about the whole thing, I also reminded Him how I'd been praying for Him to provide us with a car for months and how nice it'd be if this was it! Jonathan called not too long after I got home.

Jonathan: Guess what! I think we got our new car. And guess what!
Me: Great! What?
Jonathan: The guy works at JPL.
Me: No way! Seriously? No way!

Yeah. Did I mention I'd been asking God for months for the right car to come along! Months! And all along, He had it worked out to happen at just the right time as to provide a little assurance when doubt started to creep in. He's just wonderful like that. And it's things like that that give me confidence as we're about to leap off a giant cliff of unknowns. He's been faithful, and He will be faithful. 

Which reminds me, I had the same sort of feeling right before saying "I do" and becoming Mrs. Sauder. And Jonathan and I had a good laugh then at this pretty right-on description from a favorite cartoon:




I guess as long as I'm tied to the same tree as Christ, I'll say, 

"Bring it on."

No comments:

Post a Comment