For everything there is a season... ecclesiastes 3:1
Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning. psalm 119:54

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Motherhood at Christmas

Just "treasuring up all these things, pondering them in [my] heart."

I love being a mom. Lil' Eddie fills--to overflowing!--my heart with pure, sweet joy. I can sit and watch him for hours, stroking is soft cheeks, kissing his little forehead, delighting in his every expression. I knew I'd love my son, but...this...this powerful, joy-filled love must be divine. It simply must be. I think I have a more profound understanding of what the Bible means to say when it describes God's love for us like a mother's love and care for her child.

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you...  Isaiah 66:12

And being that it's Christmastime, I keep thinking of Mary. A young, new mother, who was surely filled with the same joy that overflows my heart these days. I'm sure she absolutely marvelled, just stared in wonder, at her newborn Son--a helpless, precious, little baby boy, a glorious miracle. I'm sure she was awed, even more so than I am considering the experiences and events surrounding her baby's birth. No wonder she "pondered all these things in her heart"--Gabriel's visit and prophesy, Elisabeth's miraculous baby boy--prophesied to be her Son's forerunner, Joseph's dreams, the shepherd's unbelievable story of a sky full of angels, foreign kings coming thousands of miles to welcome her baby--the one who'd been born in a smelly, dirty stable! And on top of that, knowing, to some degree, that this precious little baby who filled her heart with such love and joy, was God's Promised One! He was the Word of God, made flesh! What could that even mean? Absolutely unfathomable! 

And this year, Jesus' miraculous birth takes on deeper meaning as I'm drawn into the same wonder Mary felt. I'm moved and stirred as I wonder over my sweet baby. And I find myself drawn into worship and completely awed by the same powerful, wonder-working God that Mary worshiped when she said,

My soul magnifies The Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.  from Luke 1



No comments:

Post a Comment