For everything there is a season... ecclesiastes 3:1
Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning. psalm 119:54

Monday, February 4, 2013

The Last Crazy Week

It seems so crazy to think we've been in Illinois for almost four weeks!  Jonathan and I haven't spent so much time here since we lived here!  The days have flown by as we soaked up time with family, dove into new learning experiences at work, and somehow squeezed in a little of a social life!  

As for my day at work last Friday...I know you're all dying to know how it went.  Yes, I survived my combine orientation.  Although I don't think I could handle harvesting in the beast, I suppose I am rather oriented now.  

Here it is, the green giant beast-like monster
 That little toy-size person up there is Jonathan.  Seriously, you can't believe how huge this thing is!

For the record, I did grow up in central Illinois and, as a native, I have seen combines before and actually, I've seen one up close.  I have even ridden one.  A few times.  As a child.  This, however, was my first interaction with one as far as trying to understand the engineering behind one of these enormous harvesters.  Jonathan walked me around the combine (which he described sort of like a space ship--a pretty good description when you consider how massive it is and how oddly shaped) and introduced me to the various augers, threshers, and sieves.  And then, we climbed inside.


 Look how happy I am to be having my first combine driving lesson!

I didn't back it up (rear steering, reverse, and me behind the wheel just isn't a good combination).  I didn't pull it into the shed (which would have required some tight maneuvering).  But, I did drive it.  I drove in every gear, went through the motions of harvesting (lowering the head and turning on the machinery that smashes, whacks, and blows the grain off the stalks), and I even turned it around.  I know, I know, you're all so impressed.  


 Please note that my feet do not touch the ground.

Anyway, that was my combine driving lesson.  Beyond that, the work week was full of preparations for our upcoming trips: boxing and shipping the equipment, teleconferences with contacts, designing,  testing, building...all kinds.  Are we ready?  I hope so!  My calendar says tomorrow is the big day!  After a few hours of last minute packing, we should be on our way to O'hare before noon and on our way to New Zealand by late afternoon.  

Thank you so much for your prayers regarding our preparations!  It has been so meaningful!  I'm sure it was prayer that delivered our passports (and brazilian visas!) just in time this afternoon!  Now, we'd ask you to please cover us in prayer as we begin traveling--remember it's not just a journey around the world, it's a journey toward the heart of God!



No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light.  Luke 8:16

No comments:

Post a Comment